Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Thing 12: Rollyo

When I was reading the information about Rollyo, my attention was immediately caught by the questions: "Do you have a group of websites that are your favorites?" and "Do you have a set of online resources that are similar, and that you frequently use to answer homework or reference questions?". These statements caught my attention because I DO have a list of eight favorite websites that I search at least monthly, looking for new, different, and original cookie recipes. Since I had my list ready, I went right into Rollyo and set up my account, and then created my search roll. I've since used my search roll several times, and I'm pleased with the results as well as the efficiency of searching.

I could see many potential uses for a tool such as Rollyo search rolls, especially if users already have a well-defined search, and have identified a number of websites that consistently meet the user's needs. However, if the user has not yet identified a group of websites that they are happy with, I could anticipate that there may be a good bit of wandering through the "website jungle" to find the best websites for that user. Rollyo does offer easy access to other users' search rolls, though, so that might be a satisfactory option for Rollyo users who have not yet set up any search rolls.

As for myself, I am happy with my one search roll, and expect to continue to use it regularly.

No comments: