Saturday, October 27, 2007

Thing 20: YouTube and other video sites

Looking over YouTube and Google Videos, I realized that what I thought was going to be a short tour had the potential to be a endless, world-wide voyage! I'm struck by the sheer enormity of these sites, and also by the sheer enormity of users who are constantly viewing and posting videos. While there is the possibility of endless amounts of entertainment, social networking, and self-promotion, because these sites are so vast and somewhat uncontrolled, I find it would be easy to get lost here, and never really accomplish anything! I viewed a couple of the suggested "library dominoes" videos, as well as some of the old television commercial videos. To use these sites, I feel that I would need to be looking for something very specific, and even then, without a true controlled vocabulary, what I'm looking for could easily be missed. If specific videos are mentioned, I will revisit theses sites to view those videos, but I doubt I would use these sites again without a specific objective. Entertaining and useful, yes, but maybe just too massive for me.

No comments: