Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thing 19: Web 2.0 award winners

The list of Web 2.0 award winners is a list that's very good to be aware of. I was impressed at how many sites/tools we've visited as a result of participating in 23 Things, but I was surprised by how many interesting sites/tools are on the list. There are some on the list that I plan to explore at a later date, but for this exercise, I chose to explore "Donors Choose.org". This site provides users with the chance to identify local teachers' classroom needs, and make contributions accordingly. I thought this site provided a lot of useful philanthropic information that isn't readily available all in one place, especially sorted out by state/city. The fact that the site requires teachers to write a "proposal" concerning their classroom needs, seems to make it more reliable- if a user wants to donate to a local classroom, they can contribute to a specific proposal that they like, or contribute where the need seems the greatest. While the content of this site was unique and useful, navigating around the site seemed a little awkward to me. The tabs were not as clear or prominent as they could be. In spite of that flaw, I could see librarians recommending this site to customers looking for ways to make financial contributions that would benefit their own communities and schools.

No comments: