Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Thing 8 and Thing 9: RSS feeds, and MERLIN

I successfully set up my Bloglines account, and then set about finding a few RSS feeds that I wanted to subscribe to. This experience was amazing- there is just so much information on SO many topics! If you have many interests, it strikes me that you could quickly be overwhelmed by TOO much information. In that respect, I found Feedster a very helpful tool in choosing a few feeds. I fear that I may have chosen too many, and then will be drowning in information, but I'll see how it goes. I can always go in to my Bloglines account and revise things if I find that I'm getting far too much information. One that looks especially cool is "Cookies in Motion"- a site/blog dedicated to baking cookies and exchanging relevant tips and recipes. I hope to share the "benefits" of this subscription with my willing co-workers.

Exploring MERLIN and a few other library-related blogs was interesting. I knew about MERLIN, but had not yet taken the time to look it over, so I'm glad that Thing 9 encouraged me to do that. MERLIN seems to have a lot of great information, all of it so relevant to us library people here in Maryland. I especially like the idea of getting information on library training and workshops in Maryland, as well as the opportunity to see what other Maryland libraries are doing. Blogs like MERLIN will truly make our world much smaller, and the chances for sharing information much greater!

1 comment:

regina said...

I found a cataloger blog you might like to look at http://www.catalogingfutures.com/

Regina